Friday, June 26, 2009

Microblogging

Still haven't developed much feeling for Twitter. I often forget to post anything for days at a time although I didn't do too badly this week. Usually when I'm doing something, the last thing on my mind is, "Got to tell some about this!" Maybe this will change over time.

I found out Twitter has an XMPP gateway. That's handy, I thought. My IM client is always running so it would be more convenient than posting from my Twitter home page. Unfortunately, XMPP isn't a priority for the Twitter developers so the gateway doesn't work too well when it worked at all. Others such as tweet.im and twitterspy have step in to fill the need. Other microblogging sites like Identi.ca have an XMPP gateways and connect to Twitter. I decided to try Identi.ca first since you are posting to two sites at once. Hey, its hard to resist a two-for-one. ;)

So far my impression of Identi.ca is mixed. It has a much nice web UI than Twitter but the service became very unreliable just after I signed up. Twitter is can be slow but I haven't seen it become inaccessible yet. Identi.ca's XMPP gateway works and the posts are forwarded to Twitter, but the XMPP gateway is annoying. It constantly logs in and out for some reason. One post I made tonight showed up on Twitter a couple of hours later. Well, at least it showed up.

The two-for-one maybe wasn't a deal after all so I'll have to try the other options.

No comments:

Post a Comment