Saturday, May 28, 2011

PhpGedView Update

I've been tweaking PhpGedView's configuration and I am generally much happier with it.

I disabled the autocompletion for location names so editing is much smoother. It seemed to query the server on every keystroke which was ridiculously slow, even when accessing the server on a LAN.

I configured the site as "family only" since every family has a few skeletons in the closet. ^_^ The default setting was reasonably private but anyone could browse site, which might make some members of the family uncomfortable.

There were a few other changes, but actually finding these configuration settings took more digging than I expected. The UI really is not very well designed. But it is usable which is all that matters for now.

PhpGedView still has some annoyances that cannot be magically reconfigured out of the way. One issue is the amount of network traffic it generates. It really is quite astonishing given what the application does.

Now comes the hard part. First is convincing my family to try it. Second is teaching them how to use it. What have I gotten myself into?!

No comments:

Post a Comment