Saturday, April 4, 2009

Cape Town Memories

I don't know why I started looking at a map of Cape Town on Google Maps today. I guess that I was curious how things have changed in the last 30 years, and perhaps feeling a little nostalgic. I haven't returned to Cape Town since I came to Canada, and the chances of my going back are not very high.

There's no doubt much has changed. For example the highway, Jan Smuts Drive, now runs right through my old neighbourhood. The highway ended at Klipfontein Road, I remember. I wonder when they extended it? There used to be a small grocery store and dry cleaners ("Parkers") opposite the end of my street. That probably had to go when the highway went through. The sports stadium is more elaborate than I remember. I should find out how old the satellite imagery is.

But at the same time it is surprising how much is still the same. I was able to find the primary and the high school I attended. That's not too unusual, but the fields that I used to cross while walking to and from school, are still there! For both schools! I traced many routes on highways we use to drive regularly. My memory is quite fuzzy on some street names but most of the time it is just that I can't remember the pronunciation! :-$ My Afrikaans was never very good.

I created a editable Google Map so I can mark everything I find. I always wanted to play with a Google Map, so here is the perfect excuse. The map is unlisted and I'll only share it with people I know, since the information is somewhat personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment