Monday, October 12, 2009

IPv6 Router Complete

My IPv6 router is complete. I ignored radvd for now and just used a static setup since my network is so simple. I should probably learn to configure radvd later since it is useful for more complex network arrangements. For now, I'm just playing.

Once I decided on a static configuration, I needed a sensible way to subnet the 264 addresses. I quickly discovered that there are as many different ways to subnet the address space as there are addresses. Once I realized there was no magic formula, I just made up my own system.

Since I already have IPv4 subnets configured, I decided to map those into the /64 address space, so 10.x.y.z/16 became 2001:470:1c:137:xx::yyzz/80, with x, y, and z simply converted to hexadecimal. It is a bit wasteful of addresses but I can live with that. Although the mapping is logical, I will never be able to remember something that long, so the the next job is IPv6 DNS entries for the hosts on my network.

The best part is that IPv6 does not require Network Address Translation (NAT) any more. Every address is routable so you have 264 static IPs! NAT just sucked and I will not mourn its passing for a femtosecond.

No comments:

Post a Comment