Saturday, October 3, 2009

New Firewall Running

I was up early this morning to finish my long outstanding project to setup a new firewall server. The server has been (mostly) ready for a while now but I've been putting off finishing the job, because I knew the final setup would require a lot messy configuration changes on all the computers on my network.

As I expected it took a few hours to get back to normal Internet access after all the minor details were cleared away. But it all works now and I'm happy with the results. I'm sure it is my imagination but web pages seem to be loading a little faster with the new firewall. The new server is slightly faster but I doubt that it would make a noticeable difference.

There is one remaining issue: IPv6. The first problem was the version of Shorewall in Debian Lenny/stable does not support IPv6, but I found a back port of the newer Shorewall on the package maintainers web site, so that obstacle has been cleared. I've never set up an IPv6 network before, so I'm sure there will be other head scratching moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment