Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Another Time Waster

Just what I need, another distraction and time waster. In the pub after the TLUG meeting last night, I talked with two enthusiastic players of Ikariam. Ikariam is a browser based massively multi-player real-time strategy game similar to Civilization and Age of Empires. Although I am not overly fond of strategy games, I decided to check it out today. Bad mistake. Yes, it is addictive.

Fortunately the game truly is real-time, i.e., game time and clock time pass at the same rate. If it a building takes 6 hours to construct, you might as well logout and come back 6 hours later when it is done. So, while the game is definitely a distraction, it can at least be pushed aside, while you wait for something to finish.

I did have the misfortune of starting on a very crowded island. A couple of the other towns are already high level and could swat me like fly, if they were so inclined. I hope the neighbours are not too aggressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment