Thursday, February 26, 2009

Break Through

I'm getting really close to deploying the LAMP server, assuming nothing else goes wrong. I'm going to set up some test sites to see what breaks. The problem is the users are can install anything they want so I doubt that I can find all the things that do not work. I'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it.

I was building another DNS server which was half complete when it got interrupted by the work in on the LAMP sever. The DNS server is for the same customer so it is not a problem. But I am mulling whether to upgrade the new DNS server to Debian 5.0 before installing it on site. It is the safest one to try an upgrade on since it is not in production or close to it like the LAMP server is.

Debian upgrades usually go well compared to some distributions, but you better follow the recommended procedure. A time long ago you could just change sources.list, "apt-get update" and "apt-get dist-upgrade". The system has become so much more complex that you have to be careful to upgrade things in the right order. I'm not complaining. Linux has improved so much in the 15 years that I've been using it, while the other OS has been languishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment