Sunday, February 22, 2009

Silver Dart

February 23rd marks the 100th aniversary of the first powered flight in Canada. A few enterprising people have built a replica of the Silver Dart to commemorate the achievement. The replica actually flies, but so far it has done less than the original. I can understand the reluctance to push their luck with their hard work, but the replica is a fantastic accomplishment.

I disliked history as it was taught in school but I became fascinated with the subject once I started learning about the things that interested me. One thing that strikes me, is how easily technological achievements changed the world a 100 years ago. Sometimes it seems like that doesn't happen as much anymore. Or, maybe we just don't notice the changes because we are living in it. The benefit of history is that it makes everything look obvious. ;-)

Here is the story from the CBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment