Thursday, December 11, 2008

Bazaar

I've been using the Bazaar version control system for all my projects for a while now. I'm not sure why I chose Bazaar. It is not the best one by any standard but it feels like it is the right one. Not a very technical reason, I know. I think the clincher was that Bazaar versions directories, whereas the competition (Mercurial, Git) did not the last time I checked. Its funny how that simple capability seemed to be important.

I want to create a Bazaar repository from a utility I wrote, called TomsProjectUtil. (It is hard to come up with good names!) The utility creates project environments based on Trac, Bazaar, and PostreSQL, and Apache. Currently the Bazaar repository must be created manually and I would like to to automate that step. The obvious method is to run the bzr program in a sub-process but, since both programs are written in Python, I can hopefully call hooks inside Bazaar and avoid starting another interpreter. I've only just started investigating how to do this, so it is still a work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment