Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Life Without Cable TV

It has been 16 months since I ditched cable TV and yet I watch more "TV" now. Why? Because I can get more shows that I really want to watch with bittorrent, than was possible on cable. Once the non-technical masses can use this easily, cable TV is dead. Bittorrent requires some effort from the user so, by itself, it is not a direct replacement for cable. But more friendly front ends like Miro might just change that.

I have not tried Miro because it depends on xine which seems to use much more resources than mplayer. Anyway, I looked at Miro because it uses RSS feeds to find new episodes of a show. I do this manually now and it is very tedious and error prone. I need something like Miro as a simpler, command line only, application that could automate some of the work. So far, I haven't found anything that might to the job, so it looks like I'll have to write my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment