Monday, December 1, 2008

Man's Got To Know His Limitations

There was no way I was going to get the TomsGiftList project into a usable state any time soon. I decided to try and setup GiftWeb again and guess what? It worked! The reason for it breaking 18 months ago seems to have disappeared. I did not even have to change the include path for the ADODB library which I had the last time I tried GiftWeb.

I still don't like GiftWeb even though it saved the day. It is an old PHP application. When I tried the "recommended" PHP configuration for production use, GiftWeb crashed. This worries me a little. I hope that I have not exposed my server to an exploit. GiftWeb was the first and only PHP application that I ever played with, and the experience made me like Python even more. Of course at that time (2003) the Python web frameworks were a little less mature than they are now, so CGI was really the only option for writing Python web applications. No thanks.

I'm glad I was able to get the wish list back online. Nevertheless, it is only three weeks to Christmas so I don't how much help it will be to everyone.

(It was a toss up between Clint Eastwood and Kenny Rogers. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment